Thursday, August 27, 2009

"Silli Times" and DP finally speaks!


After spending 17 years in the NHL, the last 3 of which he spent on Long Island Mike Sillinger hung up his skates for good yesterday ending a career in which this NHL journeymen played for a record setting 12 different teams throughout his career.

"Today is a sad day for my family and I, but it's a new beginning. I'm so grateful to have played so long in the NHL," Sillinger said. "I thank the organizations and teammates who made my career a great success. I'm leaving hockey with many accomplishments and memories."

Following two procedures on his left hip, Sillinger said “things did not feel right and it wasn’t due to old age or his body not healing right “ giving that as his only concern.

“We were very fortunate to have Mike as a member of our organization,” Snow said. “There will be a lasting effect with the impressions he made, especially on our young players.” But Garth snow has decided to fill the void from within but added “they are big shoes to fill.”

In other news the Islanders finally brought Rick Dipietro out of witness protection to address the unintentional challenge by Islanders point blank’s Chris Botta. The very next day after Botta posted on both his site and SNY the Islanders GM and Rick Dipietro called Islanders beat writer Katie Strang of Newsday to tell fans and the NHL world that Rick’s progress is right on schedule (whatever schedule that may be).

"So far, everything has been positive. I've done everything under the sun to get stronger and into better shape…….I'm going to come back and play when I'm 100 percent healthy. I'm not gonna make another mistake and rush myself back." Dipietro told Newsday over the phone.

He also mention his strict rehab schedule which they maintained all along and tried not to get away from. Rick also credits GM Garth Snow for adding depth at the position by signing Dwayne Roloson and Martin Biron.

The one thing of concern he mentioned in his interview with Newsday was he still has ambitions to play in the 2010 winter Olympics if he is healthy. "If I'm healthy……why would I not want to play?''
To answer your question Rick, SO YOU DON’T RE-INJURE YOURSELF! I understand the thrill and honor of representing ones country but right now your focus should be on coming back strong and healthy so you can live up to your contract and become a useful member of the Islanders (for other than looking pretty and signing autographs). So for now Rick is slowly coming back and he will be put back under lock and key to every fan and media member.

No comments:

Post a Comment